Thursday, October 21, 2010

Let this be a lesson...

to NEVER climb on counters again!
Poor Gavin ended up with a broken clavicle (collar bone) yesterday morning. I am sorry to say that I didn't see exactly how it happened. I still feel guilty that I wasn't there to catch him or prevent this from happening. I was making beds upstairs when I heard a cry from Gavin that I had never before heard. That is when I rushed down stairs to find him sobbing with his face planted in the arm of the couch. I asked him where he was hurt, and he responded by pointing to the right side of his head. I couldn't see or feel any bumps until I moved the collar of his shirt. I noticed a lump on his collar bone and decided it was best to head straight to urgent care.
He didn't cry at all while we were there...just a very solemn look on his face. He even was cracking a smile, just after this picture was taken, as we sang his version of isty bitsy spider. He likes to sing itsy bitsy Lighting McQueen.
Another smile came as he played with the syringe and his water.
So now he has to wear this figure 8 strap for the next 4-6 weeks. We told him that it is like Buzz lightyear's space pack. He likes that idea since he already has the costume for Halloween. The hardest part will be keeping him from injuring it again. After all he is our "wrecking ball." The strap is scheduled to come off around his 3rd birthday. We can't wait...
Love you Gav..."To infinity and beyond"... xoxo

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Again that is so sad and I'm sorry that he got hurt. But way to go Gavin for being so brave and such a big boy! And now you can fly like Buzz Lightyear! (just not too crazy or too high :) Good luck keeping him in one spot for the next few weeks! I hope he heals quickly. Like mother like son eh? Guess he should stay away from counters like you should stay away from kites!! tee hee.

Richard and Jeannie Griffin said...

I guess broken bones run in the family. My dad broke his leg, I broke my arm (and knuckle another time) and you broke your arm, (Darci her pinky) and now another generation with Gavin. Man, can't we stop this thing somehow? Brave little boy that he is (and wrecking ball) here's hoping he heals fast and learns not to climb on counters, (or other high places.) Love you Gavin, Grandpa